Recently I had to set up Apache HTTP Server as a proxy to our web application running on WebLogic. Should be a simple task, except the application has a different context path when served by Apache. This is how it's set up:
Web App context path in WebLogic: http://localhost:8013/mywebapp
Web App context path in Apache: http://localhost:8080/some/extra/path/elements/mywebapp
With this configuration, the web application generate urls like http://localhost:8080/mywebapp/some/link, which causes problems since that path doesn't point to the web application. The correct url should be http://localhost:8080/some/extra/path/elements/mywebapp/some/link. After doing some research, I found the mod_proxy_html Apache module. This module parses the HTML from the web application and based on a specified rule set, it replaces urls in the HTML with rewritten, correct urls.
After following the initial configuration tutorial, I only got a message in the log saying "No links configured: nothing for proxy-html filter to do". Aparently, the documentation I read was a bit outdated, and after doing a google search, I found an article explaining some extra steps needed to get things up and working. Together with another useful guide, I was able to set things up producing the result I wanted.
This set up is not specific to WebLogic. It should work with other containers as well, such as Tomcat, Jetty etc.